1. Get a flu shot. It's the #1 way to avoid the flu. It is impossible for you to catch the flu from a flu shot.
2. If you feel the flu coming on-achy, feverish-as soon as possible, take oscillococcinum. I know, it's an impossible name. It's a naturopathic remedy available in most drug stores. It really staves off full blown flu.
3. If you feel the flu or a cold coming on, take Emergen C. It's 1000 mg. of vitamin C and other vitamins in a dissolvable form. Drink it in a small glass of water and repeat every hour. You'll know you've had enough when you start to get a little diarrhea. Cut back on your intake.
4. If you go travel, take Air Borne at the first sign of a cold or the flu. It may help minimize the symptoms.
5. Wash your hands as soon as you return home-every time.
6. If you have kids, use paper towels in the bathroom for hands. If that's too expensive, allocate a specific towel to each child. Damp towels are a primary way cold and flu germs are transmitted.
7. If you feel the flu coming on, immediately go home from work, drink at least 2 glasses of water and all the stuff listed above and GO TO BED. You will take at least 2 days off your illness if you take care of yourself at the beginning. You will also remove yourself from the workplace and not give it to your co-workers, for which they and your boss will be very grateful.
8. Above all, listen to your body and don't be a "tough guy/gal." You're not impressing anyone by being stupid!